The SUIT makes the man...
Before today I was not so sure I bought into this old adage at all. But I am a woman, and I do LOVE a cute new pair of shoes from time to time (like monthly).
So when my 7 year old son begged and pleaded for a Sunday suit I wondered, "Why? Why does a 7 year old boy need, or even want (for that matter) to wear a suit to church." My husband wears his suit each week, and I know he would prefer dockers and a T-shirt at times. But I will confess I love to admire my sweetheart in a well fitted suit. There is something so handsome, so gentlemanly about it. I know, it isn't for everyone, and some men might never be caught dead (well maybe just dead) in one. Regardless, here was my little guy doing all he could to convince me that he "needed" one.
This did lead me to wonder if it was just to be like his dad. But the answer came in the isle of Kohls as we tried on suit jackets. He said, "Please mom? Please, please get it? I will wear it. If I get it, I can act like a daddy. I can be like Daddy. I will be able to listen and pay attention. I promise."
These are BIG words coming from a wormy, squirmy 7 year old. But what mother can resist them when little boy suits are 30% off, she has an additional 30% off that coupon in her pocket and his sweet little eyes are pleading his case. So I caved and my husband thought $42 on a little boy's church clothes was nothing short of ridiculous. He thought that until...Noon today.
Because today, for the first time since his birth...my wormy and squirmy son listened to every word of the sabbath day message with our family. Then he went to his Sunday School class where I happen to know he continued to listen to every word. I know this, because I am his teacher! And then he was on to the final children's meeting where he sang, listened and paid attention the WHOLE TIME!
Before leaving today the thought had come into my mind: "The suit makes the man." I have heard it a hundred times. I sat the 3 older children down and we talked about what that means. For any interview I have ever gone to I dressed, not for the job I wanted, but for my future boss's job. The clothes do NOT make the man. I really believe they DO NOT. However, a suit really can level the playing field. It can make a person elevate their behavior, their attitude. Today I saw greatness in my little 7 year old man. He really wanted to listen. And he believed that with that suit on he would be able to listen. Maybe it was the suit for him. It was miraculous to watch the change. I mean, Superman put on a suit provided by his mother and he could fly. Today my boy flew! Witnessing it makes me so grateful that I didn't say no last night at the begging and pleading of my little boy. He actually isn't such a little boy anymore. I think he is growing up.
Make it a great day! Only YOU can!
1 comment:
Wow! That is an awesome experience! And if you hadn't given in, he may never have wanted to wear a suit again in his life.... Way to go! Now WHERE is the picture of this budding man in his suit!?!
Love you!
Post a Comment