Monday, March 16, 2015

It's the Little Things...

In life, I have found that it is the little things that matter most.

Last week, as I anticipated surgery for our Baby J, my mind went racing over the past 14 years of raising children.  Of our Joys and our losses.  Our trials and our blessings.  The blessing basket is always overflowing and I never run short of things to thank God for, even when life doesn't always go like I want.

In my remembering, my mind settled on one moment.  It wasn't one of my lowest days in life.  Certainly those were the loss of loved ones.  But it was one of the rougher days.  I was pregnant with our second child.  I never really knew nausea until my little man started to grow under my heart.

One particular day it got really bad.  I was trying to keep down some O.J... You know, that whole folic acid, brain development stuff.  But my body was having none of it.  The heaving became so heinous that literally blood vessels burst around my eyes.  I looked like a very sick raccoon.  And yet, life must go on.  I had one very active and energetic 18 month old to attend to.

I remember the doorbell ringing and thinking that if I didn't answer, they would surely go away.  But something told me to get the door.  There stood my dear friend L.A.  She had a toddler the same age.  She explained that she had been at home and just felt like I might need a break today.  She was coming to sweep away my angel girl for a playdate and she wasn't taking NO for an answer.  I remember thanking her and then laying down.  The exhaustion melting me into the bed.  I slept the whole time she was gone.  So incredibly grateful.  I remember her telling me it was no big thing.  It was just a little thing and she was glad she could help.  But I have learned over the years that the little things are really the big things.

There were many little things over the years...but that same friend would call me 12 years later and be the catalyst to our Baby J coming into our home.  It was just a little thing when she had a thought to connect me to another angel.  Just a thought when she insisted that if I didn't befriend any other DS families, that I really needed to befriend this family.  And what have I learned?  It only took 42 years, but God works by very little things, to bring about great things.

It's the little things.

It also reminds me to listen to that little voice, some call it intuition, some the Holy Ghost...whatever you call it...I believe that those promptings come from God...and when we follow them, miracles follow us.

No comments: