This weekend was full of driving. We drove to and from my older brother's house almost 11 hours away. The total time gone from home was 60 hours. This was a quick trip...if 60 hours can be considered quick. But usually we stay for a week or more. The trip had duel purpose. My #2 son and I had originally planned to fly. My twin niece and nephew his age were being baptized and it was going to be his turn to fly with mom to see them. But then DH's wonderful cousin called last month to let us know they finally had a wedding date and it was the same day! Not only was it the same day, but the buildings for both events shared a parking lot. Divine intervention, tender mercy...I say both! So we altered plans, called to see if my brother could accommodate 7 instead of 2 and packed. A joyous time was had by my whole family. The small sacrifices and sometimes large ones made by family to be together are worth it. There have been times we couldn't go...work, babies, life prevented it...but when we can it is a joy.
Our mom used to relate a story, a legend I suppose. I found it in many forms online...this version was closest to mom's version. Whenever she or any of us did something that took a lot of care, time, sacrifice or giving of self... Mom would always say, "Long Walk part of the GIFT!"
I hope this time of year and always the Long Walk is a good reminder to you. The Road to Golgotha,the site of Christ's crucifiction was strewn with stones and dirt. It was not an easy walk. Especially after he had already suffered so intensely in the Garden of Gethsemane for you and I. But he continued, he walked it...because He loved us...and he knew what freeing us from death and potentially from sin would mean eternally. LONG WALK, Part of the gift. I am so thankful for Him this blessed time of year. I am so thankful that through Him and by Him and of Him...we are free from the chains of death and will live again....
Enjoy...
There is a story about a foreign person who was working in Central Africa. This man had taught a group of native people about the Christmas story and about the wise men. He told them the story of how the wise men had travelled hundreds of miles on foot from ‘the east’ and how they had searched and walked for more than two years in their search for the baby Jesus. He told them about the gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh, but he explained that the real gift was the walking for hundreds of miles for two years. One young boy heard the story. One day, this boy disappeared from his tribe and was gone for more than two weeks. He finally returned with a gift for the foreign man. His special gift was a beautiful shell. The man asked the boy where he found that shell. “I have never seen such a shell my whole life.” The boy replied, “I have walked to the Great Sea, and it is only in the Great Sea that this shell is found. Long walk part of the gift.”
Our journey was long, we came home late and tired...long drive part of the gift...but like all gifts giving freely, we received as much or more than we gave.
Make it a great day! Only YOU can!
No comments:
Post a Comment