Wednesday, December 1, 2010

DECEMBER!!! YEAH! I LOVE YOU DECEMBER...FINALLY YOU'RE HERE!

Ummm...If you can't tell, December is my FAVORITE time of year. I love the music. I love the smells. I love the treats. I love the smiles on peoples faces. I even love the crowded shopping malls. But MOSTLY I love the change in people this time of year. I love that they reflect on Christ. I love that they reflect on giving. I love that they share and bake and give. I LOVE DECEMBER...Because it means CHRISTMAS is just around the corner! My mother made CHRISTmas magical. Our house was steeped with tradition. There were always homemade ornaments on the trees. She baked cookies and treats to share and to eat. Our packages literally were wrapped with "brown paper" and "tied up with strings"...we each had different colors. There was magic in the air. Barbara Streisand singing carols and Bing Crosby singing White Christmas. Apple Cider on the stove...I know, I know...it all sounds to cliche to be true...but trust me it was like that.

We did find out one year it isn't that easy to string cranberries. Evidently you are supposed to soak them first. So mom got out the pliers to pull the needle through...we all got stuck at least once that night...but all of us kids and our friends that came...thought it was the best time. Mom made homemade popcorn...the kind you cook on the stove in a cast iron pan...none of this microwave stuff. It had real butter and was loaded with salt. She made the best popcorn. We ate most of it, and strung some of it.

I remember Christmas caroling with family and church friends. I love the music and the message of love, of hope. "Christmas makes you feel emotional..." Yep! That is it! It does. The last couple Christmases have been pretty painful. We lost mom right after Christmas and by Christmas things were pretty bad. It was bitter sweet. But the other day I found a note from her. It said remember the traditions of Christmas. And remember the Savior and the reason we celebrate. I hope you will never forget. I love you. Mom. It was a note from when I was 10 or 11...but it felt like a message from heaven. So I LOVE CHRISTmas. I am so excited to celebrate this wonderful season.

Merry Christmas!

Make it a great day! Only YOU can!!!

No comments: