Our mother was a wonderful chili maker. I say was because she is in heaven. Her birthday was this month. She loved fall and Halloween...Funny two of my sisters and one brother have October birthdays like her...THEY ALL LOVE HALLOWEEN and FALL! Anyway...Mom started a tradition many years ago. It was so many years ago that I actually can't remember when it began. I am 38 and it is probably 30 or so years old! Maybe more...I don't have perfect recollect before age 8! The tradition was this: The first rainy day after school started (not a sparce sprinkle...BUT RAIN!!!), mom ALWAYS made chili. We could count on this tradition like we counted on the sun rising in the morning, or the north star leading sailors home. It was a constant. Many of us came home from school anxious and sure to smell the beautiful scents of her homemade chili. Of course it always was partnered with CornBread...something I didn't like until a good friend S.O. made me some and WOOO!!! Her's is fabulous...I will have to post her recipe. Sorry to diverge. Mom's chili was wonderful. But even more wonderful than the chili was that we could count on her. We knew that mom was a sure thing! She was there for us...cooking up that love in the kitchen and in her heart. I finished my bowl tonight and just sat at the table lost in thought. I am sure every time one of our families cooks up Mom's old Rainy Day Tradition she smiles. I miss her. But she left us a circle of love, we have each other...and the precious memories of sitting around the table scarfing mom's chili, laughing and being together! Thanks mom!!!
Make it a great day! Only YOU can!
1 comment:
I remember Chili days! Miss you Mom T!
Post a Comment