Friday, October 29, 2010

Happy Happy Birthday T.D.B.

(sorry, yesterday I had a bad headache so this is a day late)...
October 28, 2010

If you scroll down to my birthday wishes for another of my sisters this month you will learn (if you don't know already) that our family was a little less than traditional. We joke at times that our parents (unlike some parents) preferred teenagers and became teenager collectors. Our family grew and grew and I am grateful for each of those siblings that continue to bless our life.

When I was almost 14 years old my sister TDB came to be with us. We shared clothes, secrets and lots of laughter. We also had an occasional sister spat you know the things that let you know you are REAL sisters ;) We had movie nights and sister talks and to this day she is a rock and source of strength in my life. This life is NOT easy and boy does she know it. She has been dished her share of trials and sometimes I think she got a double portion. I have an opinion of why that is though...I think the Lord was preparing her to be strong, courageous and stalward. This is how she has been such a rock for all the rest of us.

I could not have gotten through the loss of our mom without her. She drove many hundred miles each way, 4 different times. My sweet brother in law took off work, to help make that happen and they held me up. At mom's funeral she talked about how though some of us came "federal express" and others came "parcel post...(and a little banged up like parcel post packages sometimes are)"... Mom and Dad loved us all. Sis had an amazing way of brightening mom's worst day, or anyone's for that matter.

Like our mom and another brother and sister that share the same birthday month, she LOVES halloween. There are great pictures I have seen of her over the years dressed up with their cute boys. She makes life fun. I know she gets frustrated at times, raising 3 boys and wonders what she was thinking ;) But she is making amazing and lasting memories, like mom made for us. Like mom she also loves FALL. They loved going to general conference together...two of mom's favorite trips.

Mom had her special things that she did for each of us...those are the things that sometimes make us sad. Sis could come home for a weekend, and count on frozen pineapple from the can awaiting her, and Mountain Cherry Juice (they don't make it anymore but it was a yummy Dole treat). Thinking of those things brings a smile to my face.

Humor is one of her strong suits. Many a time I have gone to the mail and found some funny crack you up card that made everything seem ok. She actually left me a pile of these kind of cards when mom died and instructions to open as NEEDED. We love hallmark, it is something all the girls in our family share. Mom was known to take us there to search for funny cards, cute stickers or just read them and laugh in the isles together.

My sister has a beautiful voice. She sang How Great Thou Art at my mission farewell and I don't think there was a dry eye. Her musical talents are only shadowed by her talent to love and reach people. Friendship is paramount to her, and she is loyal and true. I love her and am grateful for her love in my life the past 25 years and look forward to another eternity of the same stuff!

Happy Happy Happy Birthday TDB. I love you!! SO MUCH!!!

No comments: