Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Happy Birthday HH

OCTOBER 18, 2010

A long time ago when I was 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10...I prayed for a sister. I loved my little brother but I just knew Heavenly Father had a sister out there for me. After years of the same prayers my mother (I think more out of exhaustion and a desire not to feel bad any more...) finally told me...that was NO longer possible. She couldn't have been more wrong. It was still several more years but we joke that my parents were "Teenager" collectors. One after another the children came into the home. Each had their own reasons. I watched my parents love them all, fill the base of the Christmas tree with presents, give all their boy friends or girl friends the "What for" scare tactics talks...and love each of us in an amazing way that blessed our lives.

After graduation from High School one of my dear and kindred friends came to live with us. But in that year and the years that followed I got so much more than a roommate...I gained another sister. All my brothers and sisters have blessed my life. Some of us are closer than others, but I love them all dearly. They are the ingredients of my life that make it so sweet. Today is HH's birthday. I remember seeing her for the first time. No one would have paired us as friends. I was a bookworm and she was the life of any event going on. Bold and Beautiful and the center of attentions. She has brought out so much good in me. Her example has lifted me. I remember once she told mom she didn't have any talents. Mom was quick to tell her otherwise...but she didn't see it then. I know she sees it now though. Well...more than she did then, but sometimes not as much as she could ;)

Crafty beyong imagination, a natural at photography, a story teller, public speaker and the list of talents she continues to develop goes on and on...

She is wise. She seems to be one of those old souls. From a very young age she sought the truth and that knowledge of her stalward young spirit inspires me. She is beautiful...she is lovely but more importantly, she has an inner beauty. She is smart. Funny that there was a time she didn't think so...but 100% SAT scores and Mrs. C. thought otherwise! Her natural talent to love people of any age made her loveable to the most elderly and the smallest child. She was/is teachable...an incredible talent that we would all do well to cultivate. For awhile I remember her tending a special needs child in some kind of group home...she just eminated love. I always knew after that she would be an incredible mother. A pillar of courage, she remained faithful to God and her covenants, even when her angel boy was not permitted to live on the earth. He was followed by four beautiful daughters. I doubt they know yet the extent of magnificent that their mother is...looking back they will. I love her dearly, but I admit that 21 years ago, I didn't realize the precious gem stone that I stumbled upon. She has blessed me again and again. I am so proud of her and the woman she has become. I am so proud to call her my sister. Again and again she has saved me from myself. Literally, and spiritually! Thank you HH! And Happy Birthday!

Make it a great day! Only YOU can!

2 comments:

Heather said...

THANK YOU!!!! I love you! I am sure that neither of us knew at the time what a blessing that we would be to each other. It's a good thing that SOMEONE knew. :) Love you and miss you!

the mom~ said...

that was very nice Christine!