Despite my child wrestling necessity during Sunday services and the fact that Sundays tend to be anything but peaceful...I still love the Sabbath. I love the chance to revive. I love the feeling of reflecting on something other than ME, or Diapers, or Whining...
Some may believe in a higher power others may not...I fall very strongly in the positively sure category...but either way a day of rest, of reflection is always good for the soul.
Years ago when Oprah's theme song was "10 years have gone by so fast, seems like I was only dreaming..." (yep...guilty, I was an Oprah watcher)...She had a show on Gratitude. I believe that they recommended a Gratitude Journal. That only lasted a few days for me. But I am a grateful person, and I express my gratitude to my Heavenly Father often (usually daily) for my many blessings. Some might look at my life and think that is easy to do... Cute, Hard working, Husband, fairly obedient children, nice home, the American Dream. But we each have our crosses to bear. I promise the gratitude didn't flow as freely out my lips when my mother was dying or my father decided to disown us because he couldn't deal with it all...and still can't. But I forced the gratitude...because with it came the vision of all God had given me. And though cancer took my mother from this earth (key point being cancer not God)...I still had much to be grateful for.
Today I want to express gratitude for the things I sometimes (we??? Maybe) sometimes take for granted. I am grateful to live in a free country. I don't always like the leadership...but I love this great country. I am grateful for my senses. I can see, hear, feel, smell, and taste. I recently became acquainted with a new friend that lost her hearing very young...4 I believe. As I pondered that I became so grateful for my hearing. In college one of my friends and study buddy for Stats was blind...as we would study, or walk to class, or talk...I was always grateful for my sight. Don't miss take my gratitude for pity. I don't pity either of them. They are phenomenal women. They have so many gifts and talents that when one failed their bodies...others kicked in and made up the difference...I believe that is another manifestation of God's love, power and mercy...you don't have to believe that, but I do ;) I am grateful to walk without a limp...One of my brother's can no longer do that since a car accident. He is in a great deal of pain and it makes me grateful for my legs. My dear friend lost a child last year. Their sweet little girl past in her sleep (age 3) and the heartbreak was felt by all that loved her. You can click her link to see all the good they are doing (Hailey at the top of my page)... With the loss of Hailey's physical presence (because her spirit is close to them)...I watched as they took the path of gratitude instead of bitterness and entitlement...They have touched me deeply. I am more grateful than ever for my children and pray now to be a better mother. I could continue to express gratitude, but children call, and church calls, and life calls. Just know that I am grateful. (If you are reading this...thank you, I am grateful for those who have taken the time to learn more about my heart. Long lists of friends might be a comfort...but nothing is more comforting than the few that really know you...I am grateful for you!)
Make it a good day! Only YOU can!
1 comment:
I'm loving your blog! I am thankful for you, too!! :) There is so much I have to be thankful as well. While my husband was deployed, I kept a gratitude journal. It really helped me to think about my blessings instead of feeling sorry for myself during a hard time. I will say, there were somedays that were really hard to think of something to be grateful for! But, I always could find something! Heavenly Father does love all of us and I know it because of the many blessings He has given me!
Post a Comment