It is Sunday, and though to this point my blog has had quite a bit of humor (mostly from REAL life experiences), I want to warn you that I decided this morning, my first Sunday since this blog to write about spiritual things on Sundays. I won't be clicking the share button for facebook. But if you would like to read on I hope something I have shared or learned will touch you in a positive way. But if you are one of my Monday-Saturday blog readers...I will not be offended with that either. With that said I hope you had a beautiful Sabbath, I did!
I go back to the vet visit the other day and I ponder it. My vet was not available so I met with a colleague of his. My children are far from perfect, but in public they do alright and they were lined up on the floor against the wall...#2 was reading his current chapter book...#1 was holding #5 and #3 and 4 (my husband lovingly at times refers to them as h#@$ and Damnation... Damnation gets a capital letter for emphasis)...anyway, #3 and #4 were likely fighting (but quietly of course).
When the vet surveyed the scene he looked over at me and said (and almost accusingly) "Are they ALL yours?" Emphasis on the ALL!
To which I replied NO, I borrowed some to come here. But then I said YES! They are ALL mine.
He didn't stop there either...He said, "Are you Catholic?" I just responded NO, irritated that if I told him I was Mormon that he would say oh, of course. What is that? Who decided to label Catholics and Mormons as the only people that have large families. It happened the other day too...a girl in line at the movies behind me saw a mom with several kids and said "They must be Mormon." Her friend replied that her aunt had like 7 kids (or around there) and they were Christian...to which I couldn't help but reply so are Mormons. By the way I don't even refer to myself as Mormon, I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. But that is beside the point. The Vet's technician, more than a little embarrassed for his rudeness piped in and said, Maybe she likes kids!
Anyway, I have reflected on this little incident several times...
(opps...Dinner is ready...I will be back later to finish ;)
And it has made me cherish my children. I am so grateful for each and every one of them. Each Darling #1-#5 have their own gifts, talents and quirks. They are each smart and funny in their own way. Each has weaknesses that belong just to them as well. It is almost ridiculous to think I could do this with just my husband and myself and that they would turn out just as we hope. But I don't do it alone. Of course our foundation for them starts with teaching them of a Loving Heavenly Father that was so generous that he sent each of them to us. And that is followed by lessons of a Loving Older Brother, Jesus Christ, that loved them so much he gave his life, set a path and prepared a way back for them. But we would not be nearly as successful as parents if we didn't have so much love and reinforcement all around us. One of my sisters has a piece of flair that says "I've seen the village and I don't want them raising my children." In many points I would have to agree. But I am grateful for my congregation. Latter-day Saints call it a ward. I truly appreciate the help they give. A couple years ago my husband was called to serve as a counselor to our bishop (a bishop is like a pastor). This means he sits up by the pulpit next to the bishop. That means that I sit with 5 children (used to be 4) and try to wrangle them into behaving. When the responsibility came for my husband to serve I was more than a little scared and concerned. But a sweet family with older young women told me don't fret. They said they would help take care of us. And they have for over 2 years now. I am grateful for them. Their love, snacks, laps to sit on and help running a little one to the bathroom are selfless acts of service that bless me every week. Along with them, there are other families that help. A grandma and grandpa type that my #3 loves to sit with. A mother with older children (two which are adults now) that keeps endless supplies of skittles and lots and lots of love. I am grateful for their kindness, their love and their help. To me...this is what it really means to be like Christ. They will never fully understand the depth of how their kindness has touched and blessed us.
Now go make it a great day. Only YOU can!
1 comment:
I bet the moms with older kids just love to have your little darlings sit with them because "little" goes by way to fast and they can enjoy your kids. I know it's crazy now but someday, way to soon, you might wish those "little" days were still there with all the craziness that only little ones can bring. Soon they turn into teenagers and it's not easier,,,just different kind of crazy. Love you!
Post a Comment