Monday, August 30, 2010

L O V E

Today was my birthday. It was a beautiful day! Clear skies and puffy clouds. It was the perfect day for little ones to teach big lessons in love. From the time I woke up I got hugs and kisses and Happy Birthday wishes. I got smiles and more hugs and where are you going mom? THE SPA!!! I couldn't wait! Glen Ivy lets you in FREE on your birthday. It was lovely!!!

Darling #3 (age 5/boy) pulled me aside.
"Mom, I am getting you a surprise. I can't tell you what it is, but I can give you a hint. It is something a daddy gets a mommy when he is going to ask her to marry him."

Knowing it was unlikely that this child's father was going to get him a ring to give to me I said can I tell you a secret? He smiled a big smile. I whispered loudly in his ear, "I LOVE FLOWERS!!!" Then I told him not to tell anyone but his dad.

I only stayed at the spa a couple hours. I actually missed my family and headed home an hour early. I called my Darling Husband and said that I wanted to pick up Darling #3. He said, "Oh he is driving me crazy. He is so mad. At Walmart there was a huge, hideous neckless watch that he wanted to buy for you and I said NO!"

So we met and I took child #3 to Kohl's. Where EVERYTHING is OVER PRICED...but it is all ON SALE :) We went through the jewelry isle by isle. I tried on no less than 20 rings. He settled on a pinkie ring that was a silver band with tiny fake gemstones. He said, "That is perfect." But then as we went to check out he found another ring. It had words on it. On the outside it was engraved with "My Love, My Pride, My Joy, My Strength, My Courage." It was actually beautiful and it was a $50 sterling silver ring, but was on clearance for $5. I said, that is beautiful. He smiled and said that ring is WAAYYYYY better, do you know why? Because it has words on it. I read it to him. He smiled and took it to the counter...AND I PAID FOR IT! :) He said, the only reason you could know what I got you is because you came with me when I got it. Otherwise you couldn't know. In the car on the way home he said, "I picked it out all by myself." He ran inside to show his dad. He told his dad that he picked it by himself. "Do you want to know why? Because it says LOVE!" It made his day.

Later when I got back from my date I took off the packaging and noticed there was an engraving on the inside of the ring too. "My Family" I almost started to cry!!! My Love, My Joy, My Pride, My Strength, My Courage: My Family!!! And it is so true! I love my children and their depth of love and devotion to me. I hope I will be the mother they deserve.

My Darling #1 is nine. She took her purse to the store when they went to Walmart. My husband didn't know why until they got there. She said she wanted to get me her OWN present. It was so sweet. He said that she looked and looked. Then she found a Butterfly Necklace. (My Angel mom sends us butterflies ;) She looked at it, turned over to the price...$10, looked at it, turned to the price, a few times. Then she turned to her father and said, YES, I want this. She walked to the counter and pulled out 10 waded up one dollar bills. My husband was so proud of his little girl. She almost melted when the cashier said $11.08 but daddy said he would get the tax. Then they came home and she ran to her room. She promptly brought him $1.08 and said that she wanted this to be the first present she bought me ALL BY HERSELF!" She then wrapped it herself and wrote "To Mommy" on the top of the box. The sweetest words!!! If you gathered the riches of the world...You could not afford my priceless jewel of a necklace. When she gave it to me, I quickly opened it with delight and put it on. On the back of the butterfly it says "Embrace Life!" I know that is what my mother wants us to do. What a wonderful family I have. It's a wonderful life!
Make it a great day! Only YOU can!

2 comments:

SpencernAmy said...

BEAUTIFUL! Sometimes children are Heaven's angels on earth. Sounds like you had a great birthday. I am so glad!

Happy belated . . . .

Love you!

wendyincali said...

Oh my gosh Christine, this post caused tears to flow down my cheeks...and I don't cry very often! It was so touching. What wonderful children you have...raised by such a wonderful mother. I hope your birthday was everything you wanted it to be!