What was I thinking getting married?
Or What was I thinking having 5 kids (or however many kids you have...)
Or if you homeschool and you think, "What would I do if I sent 3 of my children off to school and only kept the two home that take a nap..."
If you have thought any of these things...you are not alone...and maybe we were separated at birth. Well, the birth part is unlikely since my birth certificate reads "single birth" but in this crazy world...anything is possible ;)
Anyway, I have my days and I don't want any one to read my status updates or my blog and think...perfect husband, perfect life... we are so far from that. I have even been known on occasion to shout some shameful thing at my spouse and then in the after shock of realization pray that my children never repeat me.
I came from a loud and boisterous home. I love my parents, but there was a lot of contention. I remember getting so sick once from it that I went in the bathroom and threw up. So I was choosy about a spouse. When I was 25 and going away to college after an Associates Degree, and a mission for my church...most of my friends were married. Mind you some were already getting divorced at that point. I remember thinking... NOT ME! When I get to the point I am ready to settle down and I find the right one...it is forever! I will always feel that way. Even when my hot temper finds me sleeping on the couch because I refuse to surrender my will. With all that said...I am grateful for a man that stands beside me. I like the song that continues... "Not in front of or behind me. I want a man who wants to hold me...not own me...and I'll give all the love in my heart...stand beside me." He does just that. Last night he hurt my feelings. This morning I was awaken to breakfast in bed. Well, first to the fire alarm, but breakfast in bed shortly followed. I am not perfect, and he is not perfect and we are not even a perfect match. But together in this world, we have beat all odds and we make sense now, after more than a decade and 5 children. I love him. Even on days I don't like him, and there are a few of those, I love him. Don't worry, I am pretty sure he has some days he doesn't like me either so it all evens out. The good news is MOST of the time...we LIKE and LOVE each other... The Love part isn't optional...the like part is flexible ;)
Make it a great day! Only YOU can!
3 comments:
I totally agree!!! We did get married young but I will be forever grateful to God for his guidance and will in my marriage.
Perfect post! I love your thoughts on this. Last night's adult session of stake conference was on marriage. You would have loved it! You could have taught it! You are awesome! Love you!
Love the part about the fire alarm . . . thanks for the laugh! And I love how real your posts are.
Post a Comment