I think so often of our great nation and the freedoms we are afforded. If we do not know what we believe, if we do not know what we stand for...It can so easily be taken from us. My husband told me the other day...That all Hitler did was keep telling people that the Jews were responsible for all the problems. Hitler taught that if you tell people something long enough they will believe it. Well I for one am sick of hearing that this health care is going to save us and bailing out multi billion dollar companies with my tax dollars is a good idea...especially while I have to pay my city $20 a year just to own a dog!
Below are thoughts or clips that I have seen or written. Think about this great land you live in. Think about what you believe, what you are willing to defend, what you are willing to stand up for. Think about what America is...Land of the Free, Home of the Brave. We are only one step away from bondage if we give our freedom away.
This is a powerful short clip from an artist who paints the presidents past and how they might reflect, in his opinion, on current circumstances.
A Powerful Painting (Click to view link)This is Red Skelton, standing up for the Pledge of Allegiance. And for what the "allegiance" means.
The Pledge of Allegiance (Click to view link)
I took the time to look up all the seemingly significant...and even some of the seemingly insignificant words in the Pledge of Allegiance. It has made me think. I will definitely say it next time with more intent...thought...and feeling. Here is what I found...
I pledge (A Solemn Promise or Undertaking) allegiance (Loyalty or Commitment) to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic (A state in which the supreme power is held by the people and their elected representatives) for which it (The Flag) stands (Symbolizes...the Flag symbolizes the republic), one (ONE: identical and united, forming a unity) nation (A large aggregate of people united by common descent, history, culture or language, inhabiting a particular country or territory) under (Used to express dominance or control...Controlled by...) God, indivisible (incapable of being divided), with liberty (Freedom to act in society) and justice (The quality of being fair or reasonable) for all (Everyone, man, woman, child, every color, race, religion).
And here is the Preamble to the Constitution...I couldn't recite it all anymore...but it is good to reflect on it and be reminded of what we are doing here...
The Preamble:
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
I have a father, brothers, a brother in law, and grandfathers and great cousins, and great uncles who have fought for, or even given their life for this great country, for me, for you...and for our freedom. May we always be reminded, lest we forget and lead ourselves to our own destruction.
Make it a great day! Only YOU can!!!
1 comment:
Powerful post and links. Thank you for sharing!
Post a Comment