I went out there and found him pounding away. I think the event was painfully reminding him that he is NOT in his 20's any more he is now in his 30's for sure! He was sweating profusely. He had told me that this unplanned event would take "a couple hours"... That is what he said the day he decided to sod cut the entire front yard. What he didn't take into account back then was what sod weighs. The problem was not far off that today. Concrete is not easily removed!!!
After about 2 hours the sledge hammer broke. My 5 year old came running in screaming "Dad's hammer broke! Dad's hammer broke! I thought it was a piece of concrete that flew across the yard, but it was DAD'S HAMMER!!!"
He came in and called and renting a sledge hammer was about $10. But renting a jack hammer was $60. He said, "I will just get the sledge hammer."
I begged, "Please get the jack hammer. Remember that Christmas present of mine you returned the other day...You can take that money and put it toward the rental."
He did and it still took several more hours and then there was the trip to the dump. At one point every one in our family except baby Derek was out there with shovels helping daddy. But my Darling #3 (the 5 year old) was out there on the job from beginning to end. He is a hard worker. He takes things VERY seriously and he is tough. Moving concrete, even small and medium size pieces is no small task, but he was doing better than I was. I am so proud of him. He is like the little train THAT COULD! Well, maybe more like the energizer bunny. I am so jealous.
Last night my husband and I had our couch talking time (we used to do this 2-5 times a week) but since an add on this summer life has been crazy. We usually face each other on the couch and talk about whatever is on our minds. He looked at me and said something I didn't expect... He said, "Where did #3 Darling come from? That kid is SOOOOO different than any of our other kids."
I laughed and started to say, "Well your mom and aunt would say..."
He interrupted and said, "Don't say it!"
I finished, "He is just like YOU!"
He laughed and said, "You're right, but #2 is just like you!"
Our children are so unique and yet, there is so much of each of us that I can see in them. They are such a joy, I am more blessed than I deserve, by ten fold!
Make it a great day! Only YOU can!
No comments:
Post a Comment