Early this morning my husband took my cute little mama mini van to the mechanic. It has been making a "noise" and they checked it out last week. It needed new brake pads and to have the rotor rotated what ever that means!
When he dropped it off it was supposed to be ready by 11:30am. Enough time to run the errands with the kids that my husband needed to run and be back in time to leave them with the sitter until I returned an hour later from a friend's this morning.
At 11:30am he learned they were no where near finished (I don't think they had started!) and he (furious) went and got the van to run errands and said he would be back with it. When he returned less than one hour later they said it would be ready around 4:30pm. After hearing nothing I called at 4:45pm to learn that they had to get a pick a part to fix it because they were trying to save me money. (I am still trying to figure out why they didn't ask me first...but I can't come up with anything. Though the gesture was nice, by now I was FRUSTRATED).
At 6pm when I was supposed to be at a wedding reception with my five children and a graduation party following that... I called and guess what? If you guessed that the car was not done you are a genius. I said, I have to be some place. I was told, "Well, honey rotors are serious stuff...they need to be done right." At 6:45 I actually took all five of my children and with two in the stroller, walked the block to the shop and figured with five little kids in their waiting room maybe I could MOTIVATE them. No luck there and surprise...It wasn't finished. This time the mechanic (who actually came in and said "Are these all your kids, you have A LOT of kids!") anyway he continued by explaining it was really the fault of the place where my rotors had to be lathed because they don't have that machine and the place doing it was running behind. He did offer me his car, but it only seats five...I said, thanks, but remember ALL THE CHILDREN ARE MINE.
I walked them half a block to the graduation party. Where I was greeted with so much love and help I wanted to cry! My children were swept up and fed. I borrowed a car and ran the present to the reception. When I got there I got a call that my car was ready if I could come right now...7:30pm. I hugged the bride, groom and mother of the bride and left. Low and behold I get to the shop and you wouldn't believe it... There is my van on blocks, no tire...not my definition of done by any stretch of any ones imagination! The woman who called me was mortified. She raised her voice at her son saying you told me it was ready for pick up! I threw my hands in the air and said, "I'll be back later."
When I called at 8pm she said that they would bring it to me and knock $30 off the price of the repair. Actually I learned a lot about rotors tonight and the one on my right side was SHOT! They likely saved my life and saved me another $80 by going to pick a part which they didn't charge me for. I could have gotten angry, I think I might have been justified in the eyes of most...
But really, I am trying to be like Jesus. And I wonder how he would have reacted. I said, No, No...I will pay the full $180. You did the work and got me a part. I appreciate it. We all have bad days, I am a homeschool mom of 5, I know how it goes. She responded, at least I can bring the car to you. To which I responded with gratitude.
What a day. Life is what happens. It is not what we plan. Usually what we plan is a joke. I heard it said once that we make plans and God laughs. I don't know about that. But I do know that God probably smiles as we anticipate this or that going just the way we want and He knows better. I did cry and lose sight of my emotions today, but I didn't lose my temper and for that I am grateful. I am trying to be like Jesus. I am not perfect and I don't get it right everyday. But today, I think He would be proud! And if my brakes work great, I might even go so far as to give them my business again...BUT NEVER ON A SATURDAY! :)
Make it a good day! Only YOU can!
No comments:
Post a Comment