Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Take me out to the ball game...

Today was a pretty special day for our good friend. For many years he has tried to break into the game that is America's favorite past time. Tonight we watched a replay of his first Major League Baseball game. He did a great job and we are so proud of him.

They kept announcing how his path to the major leagues had a lot of bends in the road, and he was one of the oldest pitchers his current team had. WHO CARES! He made it. He was there on the field, living a life long dream. He didn't give up. He didn't quit. There were times he should have wanted to. I think I would have. Two surgeries and jerked around from Double A, Triple A, Mexican League...etc. But he stuck it out. It says a lot about his character.

We could all take a lesson in perseverance. I will think twice about giving up. For anonymity...I will tell you my last name is "Smith". So many years ago I said to my daughter, when she wanted to quit, "You can't quit. Don't you know what our last name means?" She looked at me and said questioning, "Smith"...I said NO, it means Never Quit, Never Give UP! She said oh...I didn't know that. A year or more later her brother wanted to quit and she told him the same thing. Then she came to me and said, "Do all names do that mom?" I said, "Do what?" "Mean something? Like 'Smith' means Never Quit and Love means...Well Love... Do all names do that?" I hope they will grow up and Never Quit! I am grateful we have the wonderful example of perseverance in our dear friend for them to look too. Their Grandparents, Great Grandparents and Father (and myself too) have been good examples of never giving up.

Make it a good day! Only YOU can!

No comments: