Saturday, September 11, 2010

So impressed...

My darling daughter, child #1 was recently asked to be in a "drug awareness" play that my friend choreographs. She was given a part and in days learned half of her 32 lines. It was the main part and I thought that was a little much for a 9 year old, but she was doing so well, that I was supportive. She learned her own little song and a dance with it too. This was all very cute to watch and though after hearing the music 400 times I want to rip the ears off the sides of my head, I am grateful she had the opportunity.

Well, this morning we got a call and the two things that followed impressed me. The choreographer called and had made a "horrible mistake" (her words). She had cast Darling Daughter without consulting her other nieces and nephews who had been helping her for four+ years. Her oldest niece was counting on this lead part "finally" being hers and my friend was calling to say how sorry she was and that she wondered if Darling Daughter would be willing to take a smaller part this year and do the bigger part next year or the year after that. She also wanted to know when she could come and discuss this with Darling Daughter. She said she thought it was important to talk to my daughter in person. How many adults would have shirked this responsibility and tried to have the parent "work it out". This impressed me a great deal.

The second thing that impressed me was my daughter. I sat her down and told her. She said how relieved that she was because there were so many lines and that it was "really stressing her out". I didn't even know that. Then she preceded to say she would do any part happily. When the choreographer came my daughter was such a little lady, polite, respectful and gracious. It was all the way around a beautiful experience. I learned things from both of them today that I hope will help make me a better person.
Make it a great day! Only YOU can!

1 comment:

SpencernAmy said...

How sweet. I would love to come and see it. I've heard about how wonderful those plays are not only from ward members, but also from the staff at the elementary school! She is well-known!