Wednesday, September 15, 2010

I may never eat mayo again...

...at least not out of my fridge!!!

Today my 5 year old said he wanted to make his own "turkey" (actually ham...shhh!) sandwich. He said, "I know how to do it myself." So woo hoo, one more chore I could relinquish, I let him have at it. I got out a piece of cheese, 3 pieces of "turkey" (to which he said, WOO HOO, 3!!!) and the mayo. He said, "Where is the mustard?" I told you yesterday, different child. What kid likes, asks for mustard...mine ;)

I went about my business doing other things (you know the million chore list that never gets smaller it just keeps revolving...like those nasty cloth towels at old gas stations, that should be illegal).

I looked over and noticed a big glob of mustard on the middle of his sandwich and the only knife around stuck in the mayo jar. I was surprised to peak in the mayo jar and find that there wasn't really much mustard in it. I had expected the WHOLE mayo jar to be tainted with mustard from the looks of the sandwich so far. I did notice a little though and sometimes knowledge is power...other times it is just TMI. I should have kept my mouth shut and walked away. But since we are much like a teaching hospital at my house I thought I would pause to teach a lesson. I said, "Son, we wipe off the knife before we put it in the mayonaise. That way we don't get mustard in the mayonaise jar."

He said, "That's ok, I didn't [get mustard in the jar]. I just lick it off."

I said, "You lick it off? Like, lick it off and put it in the mayonaise."

He smiled and said, "Yes!"

Then darling #2 chimed in, "That is what I do with the Peanut Butter."

I responded, "Lick it and put it in the jelly?"

He laughed and said, "Nooooo, You KNOW I don't like jelly. (in a response tone like, mom that is just ridiculous...not because it is gross...but because jelly is gross.) "

Then he said, "See, it is a good thing I don't like jelly."

I need my own refrigderator and my own condaments...immediately!

Make it a great day! Only YOU can!

2 comments:

pefmom5 said...

That's soooo funny!!!!

Janet M said...

Yup, ignorance can be bliss lol Ewww! (So something my kids would have done too)