Sunday, February 27, 2011

(bitter) Sweet Sunday...

Today was a beautiful day. I am so grateful for the rain we have been receiving. But the sunshine this morning was nice as well. The clear skies made way last night for a pretty frosty evening and in the bitter cold...a bitter sweet outcome was that some of my newly planted seedlings did not make it...even covered they died. Grow and learn. My darling daughter said to me today, well mom, at least we are getting experience.

Yes that is what life is about...experience. So much of it can be harsh or painful. But think of the joy...the happiest thing you have ever experienced, and the pain...the largest hurt...that you barely suffered through. NOW...you could not have that depth of joy without that depth of pain existing in the world. That kind of pain does not exist beyond the grave, but here in life, in the imperfect world we are learning all kinds of things, mostly though we are learning to have joy and pain. And with both we are being tested and learning to rely on more than just ourselves...sometimes it is relying on a spouse, friend, sibling, parent, teacher, and ultimately whether we acknowledge this or not we are learning to rely or choosing not to rely on God. Sometimes we shake our fists at the heavens. I will be the first to admit I DO NOT understand why everything happens. I walked the cemetary the other day...it was painfully filled with people I love:
I can not explain my sweet "Grandma P.'s" daughter that died in a car crash on the Ortegas, or my sweet friend who lost her teenage daughter in a similar crash, or my friends who lost their baby boy over a decade ago at 2 1/2 years old, or the friends we have that recently lost a daughter that was barely three. I can't explain why my mother died from cancer, or my aunt either who missed her daughter's wedding (ONLY DAUGHTER) by just months. I can't explain why a good friend got brain cancer shortly after retirement...he and his lovely wife had so many plans. Or why my wonderful hometeacher was lost to a heart attack. I can't explain how my darling husband and I lost best friends (whom our first two children are named after) in car accidents, or why my dear friend E.N. lost her son, who was IS my dear friend last year in an accident. I have NO explination. I have shed what some might say are more than my share of tears. I have had what some might say is more than my share of loss.

Like the frost of this Sabbath, there are bitter sweet days, weeks, months and sometimes years in life. BUT I have tasted of the joy of the gospel of Jesus Christ. I have heard and embraced the good news. THE TOMB is EMPTY...did you hear me? NOTHING, not one million ounces of gold, or mansions to rival the stars...nothing is more hopeful, more joyful, more wonderful than that. As one of our church hymns goes.. "Death is conquered, man is free, Christ has won the victory." Oh, how SWEET! There is nothing bitter about that. But it did come with a Bitter cup, with sweat, and blood and tears. So I offer you this...I don't understand, I don't have an explination. But I KNOW SOMEONE...He understands completely and HE and His FATHER love us with a perfect love. If you let their love into your heart, if when the hurt becomes to unbearable to BEAR...if you let them in their love can lift you and carry you through. Never forget the "footprints" story...it is so real so true, emotionally and even sometimes physically HE will, he can, he wants to carry us through our darkest hours.

Today my sister's best friend from high school and his wife lost a child. Their brand new baby was not able to survive the odds that were against him from the beginning of his premature birth. I rejoice to know that though the pain is unbearable now...they can find hope in Christ and I KNOW THEY WILL BE TOGETHER AGAIN...that time...FOREVER.

#311 Reason I see the hand of Heavenly Father in my life...HE SENT HIS SON...To Die for us, and to LIVE for us!

Make it a great day! Only YOU can!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My sweet Christine...it's those unexplained experiences that make who we are. And it's the hand of our Heavenly Father, our faith and the love of our family and friends that help us through those experiences.

Christine said...

:) I love you my friend. I know you are right. Getting to who we are is sometimes painful though. The refiners fire is never a summer picnic ;) But one thing I did feel walking the cemetary with the freshly dug grave for my stepgrandpa...I am a blessed girl...I sure know a lot of angels that I am sure are looking out for me. Your little angel is one I miss so much! Love you!

SpencernAmy said...

Beautiful. Like you.