Monday, February 21, 2011

Sow, Sow, Sow...It is SO wonderful!

Today we went on a field trip. One of my best-ies took baby boy and the rest of us, including daddy (yeah) piled in the car to go on a gardening field trip/adventure. The woman we met with does "square foot gardening" a method for maximizing food and space in raised boxes. It was an awesome little trip. I won't be able to remember everything she had in her back yard but I will try:
onions, cucumbers, celery, lettuce, squash, asparagus, green beans, beets, spinach, strawberries, carrots, fennel, cabbage, broccoli,...I know I am forgetting some. Totally amazing. She gave us a small tomato plant that was already started.

We came home and my sweetheart got the soil he needed to fill our garden planter he built. Then he found some composite boxes at Sam's Club. (They are a steal there!). It is a family affair and everyone is excited.

My sweetpeas are doing really well (My mother would be proud...she is probably looking over them for me ;)

The family that works together, grows together. I am grateful my children are excited. The lady we visited said that when she discovered this form of gardening it was great because there are VERY little weeds and it is nice for the children to see the benefits, but they won't hate it because they don't have to weed daily.

SO EXCITED to eat our first vegetables in a few weeks.

#315 Reason I see Heavenly Father's hand in my life...seeds, plants, seeds, plants, seeds...who could come up with a better plan? No one I know ;)

Make it a great day! Only YOU can!

1 comment:

SpencernAmy said...

Cool. I'll have to look up "square foot gardening" cuz I'm worried about the extra work involved with normal gardening. Seems like my poor husband is constantly doing yardwork when he's not AT work (and the kids . . . ). Well, I think the less weeds concept will go over well.