Friday, February 4, 2011

The Year of the Rabbit

2011 is the year of the rabbit according to the Chinese Zodiac...
At my house this means very little since I don't believe in that kind of thing (no offense to anyone that does...I just don't)

However...the Rabbit might be VERY happy at our house.
Because 2011 is going to be the YEAR OF THE GARDEN here.

For years we have talked about this...yada yada yada.
But hell is paved with good intentions...or at least that is what I hear (don't really want to know ;)

So here we are in 2011, and THIS is the year. Darling Husband already planted bulbs for some flowers. I am excited at the prospect of having flowers. That is something my mother used to do that I loved.

I don't remember a whole lot of food gardening at my home growing up. There were some years that it happened, like the year I remember picking snap peas and eatting them before we even got the bowl in the house. And the Garter Snake, that almost gave dad a heart attack. (the 12 inch long snake that almost gave mom a heart attack is a whole story in itself, to save for another day). Good times.

When we first moved to this place the previous owners had a garden. They actually had a forest, an overgrown forest at that. My darling husband ripped out most of the forest and demolished most of the trees. (Another whole story to tell another day)...I will just say that the stump grinder definitely was worth the rental price that weekend. Darling Husband sod cut the entire front yard, ran sprinklers and planted seed. The back yard was dug up completely and seeded as well. The "garden" was taken out. He dragged it through the side yard and most of it made its way to the "green" trash. Some vines were dragged to a side garden where they remained several weeks, rooted up. Those darn vines still continued to grow the biggest tomatoes I had ever seen, almost unbelieveable, and NO water???...Except it was believeable because I saw it with my own eyes.

Today the boys and I worked in the garden. Well the spot that will be garden area soon! Child #3, who gives me a run for my money said, "Mom, this is SO FUN, why didn't we do it before, why don't we do it all the time, can we do it today all day, and tomorrow, I love this!" I was cracking up inside. But it was oh so cute.

We went to the store and got peat pots and cool weather seeds: Snow peas, radishes, carrots, lettuce and spinach. And we also planted some sweet pea seeds. 72 peat pots is no easy task, especially when 8 other hands besides YOURS want to help...but I mustard up the patience that I had seen exhibited when their grandparents used to garden with them, and we did it! Now to wait and see if it works.

I wanted to share some interesting facts with you about Gardening and Exercise:
Click on the activity to find the link for calories burned per hour:


WOW! RIGHT? I couldn't believe it...and though I like the gym so much more NOW than I did several months ago, I would much rather garden!!!

#331 Reason I see the hand of Heavenly Father in my life: Standing at the store, looking at the variety of produce seeds...WOW! Thank you Heavenly Father for such fantastic choices ;)

Make it a great day! Only YOU can!

1 comment:

pefmom5 said...

The rewards are multiple...exercise,the satisfaction of working with your kids, and when you get to make a yummy salad with the food you grow, it is the best salad ever!!! You are going to get hooked!!