Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Example, Example, Example...

I have said it before...but I will say it again...
My mother always used to say the best three ways to teach a child are
1st: By example
2nd: By example
and
3rd: By example

I had a sweet and cute little experience today. It has been on my mind and beautifully exemplifies my mother's belief in the power of example.

Today I took my daughter to the dentist. We both had an appointment. I HATE dental work. I actually love the dentist we have now. We had to upgrade our dental to a P.P.O. to get him, but he is inexpensive, does great work, and most importantly...he is honest.

Anyway, Darling Daughter had a hole in one tooth and turns out...two other cavities. She was a little unnerved. I had learned from my dentist's wife, two years ago when same said daughter had a cavity, she was assisting him and rubbed my daughters hand while he prepared and gave her the "sleepy drops"...SHOT! This little hand massage helped to sooth and comfort her. So I asked my sweet girl (couldn't reach her hand) can I rub your feet while the doctor works. She eagerly said yes. The decayed tooth was pulled (the permanent tooth is almost ready to come down) and one of the cavities was filled.

My turn next. NO cavities...YEAH! But some tartar that needed to be scratched off...OUCH...so what does my daughter, my sweet girl, with gauze still in her mouth do??? She takes off my flip flop and starts rubbing my foot. I told her she didn't need to...but she didn't listen. It was so kind and sweet...AND WHERE DID SHE LEARN THAT FROM??? I didn't ask her to do it. In fact I said to stop...but she learned from EXAMPLE...that it would help and comfort me and she was serving. WHY? Because she had seen me serve. And honestly I had done it for her, because I had seen the dentist's wife serve her by rubbing her hand to calm her for her first cavity. Isn't EXAMPLE a powerful thing. It can work both ways though, for good, or bad. SO BE CAREFUL...you are a powerful being with a powerful tool...YOUR EXAMPLE!

#348 Reason why I see the hand of Heavenly Father in my life...He sent His Son, Jesus Christ, who set a perfect example for me to follow of love, and kindness. I am grateful for the example.

Make it a great day! Only YOU can!

4 comments:

Janet M said...

Love this story!!

Christine said...

This is so much the kind of thing I would have learned from my mom ;)

SpencernAmy said...

I love how your mom's legacy is being lived out in each generation. Thank you L, for serving your mom even when she didn't think she needed it! (Aren't we so like that -- willing to serve others but not as willing to be served) And you didn't need the foot rub, but you needed to see that you are doing a great job as a mom! HUGS! And slobbery KISSES!!! Ewwww . . .

Christine said...

Awww...Thank you!!! And you are right...so much easier to serve than to receive service...must do better at that! Miss you...Sorry, so busy with school...Will call soon!