Some of you know that my church is a lay ministry. There is no paid preacher and members (ordinary people like me or you) are the main speakers on Sundays. Topics are assigned, but the talks are written and given by the members. I learn so much from fellow brothers and sisters in the gospel. Many times their experiences and trials have strengthened me, helped me to grow.
Today was such a day. Our regular meetings are Sundays from 9-noon. We have a family Sacrament meeting where among other things we partake of the emblems of the sacrament in remembrance of the Savior's Atonement. We sing songs of love and praise, and listen to the prepared talks. All the family is welcome, children are not rushed off to a nursery room away from the family and I like this. It is a little loud at times, but my children learn a lot and love the Savior and Heavenly Father more deeply because of this wonderful meeting. Next the children 12 and under go to Primary where they sing, have lessons and sometimes color or do things like that. My children love this and sometimes bear through sacrament to get to what they call the best part...Primary. The adults have a scripture study class called Sunday School. The last hour is filled with a meeting for the women called Relief Society and one for the men called Priesthood. The youth 12-18 have separate Sunday School and Youth meetings. It is all very organized and I feel blessed to have had these teachings my entire (well since 3 months old) life.
This schedule differs a little a few times a year. The first Saturday and Sunday in April and October there are world wide broadcasts from the Prophet and leaders of the church that pertain to family, testimony, loving others and being Christlike. The instruction at these is some of my very favorite. Also twice a year our "stake"...a stake is a geographical area made up of a handful of congregations or "wards"...our stake meets. This meeting is like a sacrament meeting...slightly longer, but with no other meetings following it. Today was this stake meeting...It is called Stake Conference. AND I LOVED IT. The meeting was so uplifting. But one talk in particular touched my heart. I wanted to just share the highlights of that talk.
The talk was given by our good Stake President. He is a kind and generous man that has done much good, for so many people, but especially the youth of our area. He talked about how he was raised his whole life in the "Mormon" church or as it is truly called The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He spoke of how for many many years his testimony was based on that of his parents. But there came a time when he was called and served a mission for the church. You have seen them...the cute boys with white shirts, ties and bikes. He said he knew then he needed to know for himself. Many weeks of prayer and study and petitioning the Lord went into his plea...then one day the answer came with the overwhelming feeling of the spirit that this was right. He said as he has studied the scriptures and the Life of Christ in the Book of Mormon (Another Testament of Jesus Christ) and done all he can to live the Principles of the New Testament taught by Christ himself...that his life has been richly blessed. I was so touched. I too had a similar experience. If you have followed my blog this year you know that a "Christian" friend recently informed me he was sad that I was going to hell...seeing as I don't believe in Christ. I just want to say that everyday, but especially today after a stirring and powerful message from this dear man...I do not hide, I do not care if you don't agree (I LOVE YOU ANYWAY)...but I declare, that I LOVE CHRIST. I AM GRATEFUL FOR HIM!!! He is my Heavenly Father's Son and a great gift was given when God agreed to send his son for US...For you, for me...He provided an Atonement and a way back. I know some people of many faiths...even my own...that I don't want to associate with. I am not perfect, but I am striving to follow Christ...I am striving to be kind...love others...serve...lift and give of myself to the work of the Lord. As I do something inside my heart reminds me...THAT is what it is all about. Anyone can say they believe...but living a life of love and service that is a true Christian. I KNOW many a Christian, who don't even know yet that they are. Some people (I guess) will be surprised to find them in heaven...I WILL NOT. They are holding different titles right now...like Hindu, or Buddhist, or some even atheist...but they are living good clean lives, being kind and serving their fellow men. I am thankful for them and their good examples...and I know God is too! Now if there is anyone out there that has questions about my church...please ask a member of the church. I am an open book, and you are always welcome to worship with us. May the Lord bless you this year. May you have a desire to reach out and love others, what ever title of faith you are currently under. The DOING is the most important part.
#357 Reason I see the hand of Heavenly Father in my life...Men like my good stake President, who have the courage to stand in front of hundreds or even thousands of people and declare their love for and testimony of Jesus Christ...It is a witness of His divinity and of His Father's Plan. I am grateful to have it in my life!
Make it a great day! Only YOU can!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment