Wednesday, January 5, 2011

My Angel Mother

Today is the 3rd Anniversary of my mother's death...or her continuation of living as I look at it...but not here...with my grandparents in the life after this life. My siblings and I miss her so very much.

When she passed away my husband gave a beautiful talk at her funeral. He also wrote a poem about her life. I had no idea my husband was capable of this...since he had never done it before or since and it came as a huge surprise. He loved her dearly, as we all did and the tribute is quite clever, funny and touching all in one. It is what I will be sharing today. I hope you find some joy in it. If you knew her, you will find some truth and humor as well.

Verita P.G.T. was the name by which she was officially known
But other titles she earned at church, at school, with friends and at home.

We will start this little tribute, as did she, by coming to earth as a daughter.
Where she learned to plant sweet peas and watch them bloom all summer long with her mother and father.

To our uncle Tommy she was simply known as his little Sis.
Watching the love these two shared was something I was blessed not to miss.

In Uncle Tommy's eyes she never committed an wrongs.
Even when he got busted after she threw out his thongs.

For twenty years to be Wildomar Elementary's best librarian, she had what it took.
Later in life her greatest joy was found in the endless plea, "Nama please read us just one more book."

She loved nature, wild flowers, animals and everything good.
Especially Geronimo, In and Out and an occasional cat from the neighborhood.

She taught us to love books. To read, learn and contemplate.
One of her proudest days was when from San Jacinto College she did graduate.

She was non-judgmental. She admired the saint. She accepted the sinner.
At her home you were never turned away...especially for Sunday dinner.

From Relief Society President to genealogist, at church for her it was not about fame.
All through all of life's trials, to our Lord's commands she was faithful the same.

To our Dad she was the most precious part of his life.
Memories of genealogy trips and summer bike rides, this is the only woman he ever called "wife".

While he more than any will miss her as they must separate for awhile,
Even he would say, when I see her again she'll have yet another new hairstyle.

To those who weren't family, her friendship was true.
To find one like her, there just isn't any.
I'd list her best friends by name but I know I'd forget one or two,
Because there are simply just too many.

For us left behind she would tell us to take comfort and learn from example.
She would say no matter how much love you give away, your heart will always have ample.

For some special little ones, she couldn't have pricked their hearts any deeper if she used a nail and hammer.
To them she'll be eternally known as Grandma, or Nama, or perhaps even Grammer.

After all has been said it was her kindness that was unlike any other.
It is from this that she earned her most deserving title of all...that being Mother.

Her kids now span the globe. From Germany to California her heart has always had room.
She earned the right to be called Mom from more than just the two who came from her womb.

Mommy...you will always be missed, every day...until we can all be with you again. Mom always loved the verse

3 John 1:4 I have no greater joy than to know that my children walk in truth.

We are doing our best mom! See you on the other side.

#361 Reason I see the hand of Heavenly Father in my life...if you knew my Angel Mother...you would never doubt God. Because of her life, example and teachings, I never will.

Make it a great day! Only YOU can!

PS...today is my father's birthday. It was a hard birthday for him and ever will be. Though he throw us away when she died, I will love him all my life. I wish him peace.

3 comments:

SpencernAmy said...

Wow! And with those very personal and unique sentiments, you know he didn't plagerize! I am so impressed. Love you both!

Janet M said...

I needed a tear alert this morning lol I'm so glad you shared this poem, what a great way to remember your mom.

Christine said...

Thank you ladies ;)