Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Tangled...

My oldest child is going to be 10. I don't know when that happened...the time just flew by like little butterflies that seem to be going so slowly, but if you try to touch or chase them continuously elude you. Since she was very young and as the children have been added one by one my sweet husband has made time for them like very few men I know. On what has averaged a monthly basis (or there about) he takes them on daddy dates. He spends the time telling them they are wonderful, talking and asking questions. He didn't get much feed back when they were 18 months old...that is around the time "daddy dates" start. But now he has had some great heart to hearts with the older ones. We hope the precident will keep them open and sharing with us. Not everyone has my situation but I highly recommend whatever modifications are needed, sometimes that may be a grandpa or uncle...but children do need their "man time"...both the boys and the girls. Something I didn't realize until a couple years ago is they need their "girl" time too...with mom (or grandma, or auntie)...

It hit me when my #4 wanted a "daddy date" and my husband said it wasn't his turn. He replied..."Ok, then I want a mommy date." I added a couple of these to the agenda. They are sometimes woven into necessary trips like shoe shopping for new sneakers, or errands...but they are none the less important. They build self esteem...well not all on their own, but I use them for this. Lately my oldest has struggled. She is almost 2 full years older than her brother (short of 11 days...and he came 19 days early and robbed her of the two full years...and of the only April birthday in our home.) He doesn't mean to "steal" her thunder, but he HAS been stealing it her whole life. I try to act like it doesn't matter, but if I were her I would likely be fuming mad. She started teaching him the piano (she began lessons at 8 and her teacher only takes 8 year olds so he anxiously awaits his pending birthday)...though I am confident she regrets teaching him. Within hours of a new piece he is playing it like a pro. He is a whole YEAR ahead in math in school, so he is only a year behind her and she feels like he is clicking at her heels. Today, on the way to our little date which I kept as a surprise she was confiding in me. "Mom, you have to do something, it is Tuesday and he is almost done with his school work for the week! You won't be able to stop him. He will pass me by college." I wanted to laugh but this is serious business for her.

So we talked. I said, let him pass you and praise him. Though I want you to be prepared and have an education, you will likely marry one day and be a mother. I hope that man works hard like your father and is the bread winner. Unlike you, your brother will have to be the bread winner. Don't you want him to work hard now and get a good job someday? I said, you are jealous, but you have nothing to be jealous of. You are an amazing artist, writer and can create all kinds of things. Your gifts are different than his. That doesn't make either of you "better" just different. She laughed and said "I see" but how do I stop from getting mad? I told her when he brags that all his work is done say WOW, way to go...you are going to be a doctor or engineer someday. You are so smart, will you buy me a house? She laughed again. I told her she was waisting energy trying to be what he is...we are each made to BE WHAT WE ARE! We are each God's children with our own precious gifts and talents.

Our surprise date was to see the movie Tangled. I have wanted to take her since it came out and we were going to see it with friends, but it never happened. So we parked and started walking to the theater. She was so excited. I was pleased with the movie, one of Disney's better ones in my opinion for sure. I don't want to give the plot away...if you haven't...go see it. Worth the $10 (well...go get a discount ticket)...anyway...I will say this...Rapunzel's greatest gifts came from within. You will have to go see the rest. But I told my beautiful and wonderful daughter on the way home that she was just the same...She might not finish her math in 20 minutes...but her GREATEST GIFTS are from within.

#362 Reason I see the hand of Heavenly Father in my life...
Those talents, those gifts we each possess...they just can't be an accident, you will never convince me. They are too amazing, they must come from God...I KNOW they do!

Make it a great day! Only YOU can!

3 comments:

lulu said...

Did I tell you that when I looked at Rapunzel I saw Leslie?

SpencernAmy said...

You've done it again . . . inspired me through your incredible example. IF I grow up, I want to be like you!

Love you and miss you terribly! I got robbed getting sick when the rest of the family was able to see you. : ( I need to remedy that!

Christine said...

Yes LuLu you did...I thought of that the whole movie ;)

Amy I feel the same way...robbed...we need to get together. Miss you. HOpe the trip was good.