I have a friend NP that is at times a cynic. But over more than a year ago she decided to look for the good. Somedays her updates about Positive things down right made me laugh out loud. They were not things some would consider positive at all. She is a teacher and I may be getting my story a little wrong but one of the years she taught 1st grade I think that 5 or 6 students in her class were suspended...the 1st week! I laughed, but really I wanted to cry for her. And yet she was present, with laughter and jokes, and the fun little stories that kept us all going. She has a husband that adores her and two beautiful girls. Sometimes they are angels and sometimes they are brats...and she is sure to share either way. I love her candor and that she says what I sometimes think, but often keep on the inside. I love this friend of mine. I have been friends with her almost 30 years. Considering I am 38 that is a dang long time! She was ALWAYS kind to me. In fact I never remember her being mean to anyone when we were growing up. One of the many reasons I love her.
This year her MBFF (her male best friend from 20+ years, a dear friend of mine too) passed away in a tragic accident. There is NO sense in this. Every day it hurts. She can't pick up the phone and say I love you, or I miss you...or butthead you shouldn't have driven tired. She can't say to him that life isn't the same without his physical presence and she can't yell why didn't you call me when you were drowsy. She wants to but she can't. My heart hurts for her...and I...the crying type...sometimes cry for both of us. I love her and she is on my mind so often, only second to his dear mother whom I also love very much.
Today NP did something that touched me so very deeply I found tears rolling down my face as I read it. On her FB status she is highlighting Extraordinary people this month. Today she highlighted me. She wrote:My friend, CL, is pretty damn extraordinary. She's gone through some pretty tragic events, but always manages to hold, not only herself together, but everyone else, too. She's strong and tries to have a positive outlook, but is still human, still sensitive.
I often feel invisible...here in my corner of the world...staying home, raising five children and homeschooling. It can be isolating. I thank her for seeing the love I have to offer and making me feel extraordinary...such a change from my ordinary days. Now I don't share this to boast ME...I share this to boast NP...and what a difference ONE person can make in the life of ANOTHER person. What little thing can you say? What thing can you do? What compliment can you give? Could you say something that could change a day...or even a life? Think about that when you are looking in the faces of people tomorrow. Maybe it is a fellow employee that is always overlooked or underpaid. Maybe it is a friend that is hurting, a child that is lonely...whoever it is...find that someone and change the day for them. Our friend Jason was like that...he made people's lives so very bright. We can't help but hurt, mourn, cry...because he was bigger than life and full of endless love. Be a light...Be like Jason.
#363 reason I see the hand of the Father in my life...I know that God is real because of people like my friend Jason and my friend NP that give and lift others with their words, their ability to teach and to change lives.
Make it a great day! Only YOU can!
No comments:
Post a Comment