Saturday, January 8, 2011

Read out loud

From the time I can remember my mother read to us. I remember my father doing it to from time to time. But mostly I remember mom reading. From very little to clear into my 20's I have memories of Newbery Winners and Caldecott Winners and books forgotten by others all together. There were fictional scenes of what would happen after the Nuclear War...Z for Zachariah...or the Finches Fabulous Furnace which just the thought of brings a smile to my face. The Incredible Journey, and an all time favorite Where the Red Fern Grows. Mom also read to us from the scriptures and old journal entries and really there was nothing good that she didn't take the time to impart to us. Her voice was a comfort and a joy and the words often lulled us to sleep much like a lullaby. She had the ability to make a story come to life and as an Elementary School Librarian, this was a rare and priceless talent. She encouraged thousands of children in her years of service to read. I miss it. I miss hearing her on the couch reading to me.

So my challenge to you...Go read to someone...a child, a grandchild...even a spouse. There is something soothing about being read to. Tonight I heard my husband in the living room reading a book to our children...or rather a chapter from a book they are studying for a writing class. I love his voice, and I love that he is teaching them the importance of reading. What a great blessing. What a great dad. So go...Go read to someone.

#358 Reason why I see the hand of God in my life...The scriptures...they are a beautiful manifestation of His love, the prophecies of the coming of His Son...For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life. Thank you Heavenly Father. The gift is not received lightly...I am ever grateful.

Make it a great day. ONLY YOU CAN!!! ONLY YOU can make the day great for YOU!!!
**Just read my one of my sister's blog posts...She was sick today (Sunday) I hope she feels better soon. I love that she reads to her girls. I think her blog is open so I will post the link here...so grateful we had a mother that read to us as TEENS...she changed our life with reading...CLICK HERE...to read her post. ;)

2 comments:

Heather said...

I love this post! Your home was the first one that I lived in where I was read to regularly. Even at 17 I remember mom reading poems, quotes, scriptures and stories to me. And of course you and mom and I reading out loud to each other! Some of my fondest memories for sure. I wrote a blog post today about reading to my girls and linked to this post at the end. Love you!

Christine said...

Awww...I love that and I love that mom knit our hearts together with a love of reading. LOVE YOU!!!