We survived Costco...ME and all FIVE of my children. I even had a gentleman stop me to say how well behaved they were and how impressed he was. I assured him they aren't always this saintly, but that I surely appreciated the compliment. But truly, I have been blessed with pretty well behaved children (IN PUBLIC)...I attribute this to the promise of a reward...of some sort...if behavior merits it. The reward today was going to be...COLORING EGGS!
We quickly came in from Costco and my sweet daughter and I made sandwiches for a platter that was going to the church. A family in our congregation tragically lost their daughter. I don't know them personally, they haven't been in many years, but the congregation reached out in an outpouring of love and I believe they felt it. It reminds me of the miracle of the loaves and fish...because literally baskets full were taken home by the family after feeding a couple hundred people and then church members were sent home with the rest. I am grateful to be among people who answer the call and mourn with those that mourn.
After this was completed, we got dressed and headed to my little niece's baptism. She is just younger than our #2 child and so we just saw them last Sunday. The family all gathered together once more and it was beautiful!
We came home and got some take out and sat around the table talking. Then mom made a last minute dash for the store. As I was leaving my oldest said, MOM, what about EGGS? I had thankfully already boiled them. (3 dozen!) So I told her if she got the table ready we would do it as soon as I got home. I went quickly and returned to a neatly laid out table. Dishes were put in the sink and the dye coloring boxes were opened and sorted.
We had the best time, minus baby who was asleep already (probably a blessing this year!...I am NOT super human ;) The children kept saying things like this:
Mom, Thank you so much!
Mom, this is awesome!
This is So Cool!
I bet NO other mom does this (I said, I sure hope every mom does ;)
Mom, this is the best family time ever.
We did have a great time. Those who know me WELL, know that messes are NOT my thing. Neither is MUD, SLIME, FOOD COLORING, ETC! My OCD manifests itself in times like these and I get crazy anxious, controlling and kind of nuts. BUT I AM PLEASED TO SAY...I DIDN'T! I know, stop the press, crazy huh! I didn't. It was great. I have dye ALL OVER MY HANDS...and I am not freaking out. When it was all done I did have a small anxiety thing going on, but I got over it while doing dishes! And all is well.
The next part will astound my TFF (true friend forever) D.L. I had laid out an old table clothe for them to color the eggs on. So we took the dye that was left and darling daughter had an idea...She actually said, Mom, I have an idea...naw, never mind you would never let us... To which I responded, tell me I might. She continued, we should use the dye that is left and paper towels and color the table clothe. So GUESS WHAT? We have a NEW "HAPPY SPRING" Table clothe. And I think it turned out really cool. What a night, what a great great great night. I felt my mom close tonight. She LOVED to dye eggs with the children. It wasn't the same without her here. But it sure was fun, and we are making memories. She would be proud...is proud, I know she is!
#261 Reason I see the hand of Heavenly Father in my life...He gave me my beautiful children to help me lighten up and be a better person. Thank you!!! Thank you!!! Thank you!!!
Make it a great day! Only YOU can!
3 comments:
That is adorable. And good on you for keeping such a sweet promise. You are a good little mommy.
I think we've swapped places...haha. I didn't even color eggs this year, and I didn't even hide eggs either. What a loser I am. URG!! That's it...Tomorrow morning my kids are gonna wake up to eggs all over the yard.
Lol. I was like Dina this year. I totally didn't dye eggs or do a hunt (that darn fundraiser consumed me). I did take #3 & #4 to the community hunt and they had a great time. Then #1 & #2 decided to do a scripture-based treasure hunt for 3&4 using Easter scriptures. I was very impressed. I think I'll put them in charge every year!
Post a Comment