Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Strawberry Shortcake...

No...not that cute little cartoon character...the actual, edible strawberry shortcake.

Today I packed up my 5 children and we headed to see my dear friend. She cooks from scratch and YUM!!! My mouth is watering thinking about it. When I told her how much I missed my mother's German Chocolate Cake for birthdays...she made THE BOMB...German Chocolate Cupcakes. Her cookies will ruin you...you will never want a store boughten cookie again. She is probably laughing reading this...and she knows it is true. She offered her son a store bought cookie and he threw it back. She is fabulous and I LOVE HER.

But this post isn't just about her cooking or even Shortcake. Last week I made my first attempt at Shortcake. It was lacking, I admit. My darling husband made a comment about his mother's shortcake (that he loves)...which no offense to her, isn't my favorite. I could have cried, that might have been my reaction 10 years ago. But instead I wrote my friend and said, "HELP! I need to make THE BOMB Shortcake!" She went to work helping me figure this out. He is testing her creation as I write this. He isn't a sweets eater, but I can hear him scraping the bowl...so that is a good sign. But the thing that touched me the most about this whole shortcake business is that my friend "got it". She didn't just take this for the face value shortcake recipe search. She got that I needed it to be mine, not my mother's or his mother's, but something I could own and do that he would love. So she offered some busy mother of five shortcuts for me. I am blessed with a group of very wonderful friends. I thank Heavenly Father for these loving and strong women He has put in my life. I am grateful she is one of them. Thank you!!! You know who you are! I think you are the best!

#278 Reason I see the hand of Heavenly Father in my life...Friends that "get" you. That is the best kind of friend.

Make it a great day! Only YOU can!

No comments: