Sunday, April 3, 2011

Soap Free...

Yesterday in the line to check out at the grocery store my eyes landed on one of the many magazines that line the racks before you can escape the grocery store. You know the ones, right next to the candy at infant to 12 year old children eye level. The "rag" mag caught my eyes because it said "Bo and Hope finally get happiness..." or something to that effect. And I am ashamed to admit that I knew exactly whom they were speaking of.

This "rag" mag thought wrapped itself around my brain as I got ready this morning to watch another series of uplifting talks broadcast worldwide by my church about the importance of God, Jesus Christ, families and HAPPINESS. And as I thought of the promise the magazine assured for Bo and Hope I had to chuckle. Why? Because there is NO way the network will allow them one moment of happiness, let alone happiness for "the rest of their lives".

Lets go back a couple of decades. I used to be a soap addict...not the wash your body kind of soap...but SOAP OPERAS. I remember even taping them so I could watch them after school my junior and senior year. I actually can remember all the way back to being a little child when "Hope and Bo" were tragically separated...and then got back together...only to be separated and reunited a couple dozen more times. (Maybe I exagerate a little...but not much.) I once had a friend say that if you stop watching soaps and start again 10 years later you will be able to pick up on everything in a day or two. And after seeing that magazine last night I ask myself...WHY? And this is the answer I have come up with. The network doesn't want to pour money into portraying any happy marriages? Why would they? Where would that get them? No they prey on women and paint them as vixens or the wicked witch. They are not real life...but really they are not even the movies. At least the movies provide a temporary escape. They are like a black hole that sucks you in and takes you deeper and deeper, with no hope of reality or happiness.

My life is not like that. I don't have any drug lords in my family. No one has kidnapped my spouse and brainwashed them into believing they are something else, or replaced them with a mercenary. I don't have any relatives that have slept with another relative to trap another relative into marrying them. Or any family members that pretended to be dead 20 years, or got lost at sea...None of these. So I wonder what the appeal is? When I was 17 the appeal was that I thought "Steve" on Days of our Lives was gorgeous. (He is old now...one thing that they can not stop in TV world is aging...well they can for a few years, but facelifts fall). In college I started to feel like this might actually be smut I was watching (Duh! No kidding!!!) and by the time I was pregnant with my 1st child I had a friend tell me she was "soap free" for 15 years (or something like that). I remember thinking EWWW...why would you tell someone that! Until she went on to explain that she was Soap Opera FREE...NOT soap free. I was relieved and challenged by this thought.

I am grateful to say that I too am SOAP FREE! And to see the magazine yesterday, I really haven't missed anything. They are still promising happiness for the same players of that stupid game (NOT LIFE...because it, as we just discussed, doesn't remotely resemble real life)...and they are STILL NOT DELIVERING HAPPINESS!

So I think I will stick with my happy life. I will play games with my children. I will go to the park with them. I will pitch baseballs and run, laugh and have a great time. I will pack sandwiches (the same ones for 11 years) for my husband, who is so heroic and noble that he takes a lunch to save us a few bucks. AND THERE WILL BE NO PRODUCT PLACEMENT at my house. I am so grateful for my wonderful life. I wish this happiness for everyone that doesn't have it yet. And I am grateful for the friends who share in it and buoy me up, keep me afloat! Don't get me wrong...there are days when both my darling husband and I reach our limit...thankfully not the same days (usually)...but there is nothing dramatic or "soap opera" like about that. That is just the normalness of life. And I love it. The spice of an occasional disagreement, makes for a chance to forgive, grow and love even deeper. Something NO SOAP ever offers!

So if you haven't already, take the plunge...be soap free. And if you have done that, take it one step further. Are the things you watch lifting your spirit and your relationships? It is always good introspection to give yourself an honest overlook! May this challenge help you grow. 10 years and counting, thanks to my friend, I have grown a lot!

#280 reason I see the hand of Heavenly Father in my life...The growth I have experienced since he gave me the opportunity to be a mother is Phenomenal...and I can only explain that growth by giving Him recognition and thanks.

Make it a great day! Only YOU can!

2 comments:

The Mudmom said...

25 years of being Soap Free for me...YIPPEE!!! and I always notice those mags and think the same thing, "I'm not missing anything, cuz Luke and Laura are back together and seperated again." LOL

Stephanie said...

I can sympathize, I also used to be a soap addict many long years ago. So glad I woke up and saw how stupid it all was, and they all used the same plot over and over again with slight variations. I've been soap free for 25 years as well!