
Many years ago my mother bought a print of a
She was not one to spend money on things of that nature. We were on a trip to see a niece get baptized. And as we stood in the store for what seemed like forever, she kept asking me if I thought it was a good idea. Now mind you she only bought a print...but for her this was a spendy decision since she had never spent upwards of $200 to $300 for a piece of art in her home. I assured her several times that THIS was a great way to bless her home. So she made the purchase. It was awhile before the picture made it on to the wall. But she loved it. The title of the picture was "Be Not Afraid". It was fitting for a woman that had survived breast cancer, raised 2 children from the womb and helped raise and love another 6 that she cherished as if they had come from the womb. So when she passed away a few years later from a reoccurance of breast cancer, naturally this piece meant something to us. The original went to my sister that came the farthest when we lost mom. But as we felt she would have wished, the children received a Greg Olsen print. I have another copy of the same print that hung in my mother's home. I love it. It reminds me to be strong. It reminds me that We are not forgotten. It reminds me that the Savior loves us, reaches for us, protects us and wants to help us through the everyday trials of our lives. When we lost mom I felt afraid, lonely and lost. I became very depressed for a time. But every time I look at this picture is it like I can hear her saying "Be Not Afraid."
Art is one of those things that can speak to us. I find great comfort in having beautiful art in my home, and though you won't find any expensive pieces, simply because we can't afford them (I would if they were in our budget.) I am grateful that this kind of beautiful art and prints can be made available to just about anyone that saves for a bit. I have found great peace and enjoyment from mine. I strive to remember to "Be Not Afraid." I am grateful to know we will meet again. I miss her so! I hope you will check out the site for Greg Olsen's work. I believe that great artists are inspired by God. He has some masterful pieces of the Savior Jesus Christ, but he also has beautiful work of children, families, and such. His work delights me and draws me in. Maybe you will find a piece that touches you deeply too.
click here to see more Greg Olsen's Art. The Greg Olsen website was kind enough to provide me a digital print above to include with the blog and I thank them for that. (it was "used with permission" by Greg Olsen Art.)
#292 Reason I see the hand of Heavenly Father in my life...beautiful and inspired art work.
Make it a great day! Only YOU can!
No comments:
Post a Comment