Monday, March 14, 2011

On My Honor...

I only know what I have read. I have heard that the student involved at BYU has been honorable in handling the choice he made to break the honor code and in dealing with the ramifications of that choice. I do not condemn him...we are all human and at times faulter.

But the media has had a field day with The Church of Latter-day Saints...saying that it is wrong, the code is too strict. That students aren't allowed to drink coffee or tea...WHAT DO COFFEE and TEA even have to do with this. When I attended that campus...I SIGNED that CODE. No one held a gun to my head. No one made me give my word. I gave it freely. I knew the cost if I broke it. For the calibur of school it is...it is one of the greatest educations out there for the price. There are students lining up to attend and thousands turned away every year. There are a 100 or maybe a 1000 young men passed up so that each of the others could get a chance...everyone of them that was passed up would have signed the CODE too. My point...this isnt' the church's fault. And why would it be? Are you telling me we are supposed to lower the standards, THE CODE of the school...because it isn't comfortable to the world? Give me a break. Maybe in the office of United States President that happens, but fortunately there are places in the world where someone's word still stands for something. And a signiture on a paper that says "I WILL" is more than a formality.

Here is what I think:

Honor is an interesting thing. When we have a nation that lets the president still serve after he dishonors the most important promise he made in this life...that of husband...We can clearly see the value this society puts on HONOR. When we watch politicians promise the universe but they can't even deliver "the mail"(the simple local things)...we see that honor is NOT the motivator in D.C. But the thing is...for many "the world" is not our standard. The Lord sets our standard. I was not surprised at the reactions from the papers and press when the star basketball player broke the rules he agreed to. But I was saddened. Doesn't our WORD mean anything anymore? We give our word. We sign a paper to attend a school of that caliber that produces great minds to rival the alumni of other institutions that cost 2, 3, 10 times as much money per year...some with and some without honor codes. The shocking thing should be that people don't expect people to be "ON THEIR HONOR" when they make a promise. It seems that there is a general belief that "promises are made to be broken"...that is foolish propaganda put out there by the less than honorable. Let us NOT buy into that. Let us stand for what is right. Let us BE honorable. For all the schools that stand up to their honor codes (Christian Schools...and any school for that matter)...I APPLAUDE YOU!!!


#298 Reason I see the hand of Heavenly Father in my life...some people still are honorable and stand up for what is right...even in the shifting tides of popular opinion...some are not afraid to STAND for TRUTH! I know that courage to stand comes from God.


Make it a great day! Only YOU can!


No comments: